In 1928, nine Postal workers with $5 each applied for a charter to organize what became known as Portland Postal Employees Credit Union. Today, with assets of nearly $230 million and over 18,000 members, the Credit Union is now called NW Priority Credit Union to better reflect their loyal and growing membership.
NW Priority Credit Union continues to be strongly committed to the credit union philosophy of "People Helping People". With seven branches located in Downtown Portland, SE Portland, Portland Air Base, Rivergate Industrial, Milwaukie, Beaverton and Vancouver, Washington. We consistently strive to provide competitive rates, outstanding products and services that are safe and secure. We also offer exceptional programs for our youngest and young adult members.
Good things in life happen at NW Priority Credit Union. Start building your financial future with people you can believe in.
NWPCU’s Mission Statement
NW Priority Credit Union is member owned and dedicated to helping our members meet their financial goals.
NW Priority CU's Field of Membership
NW Priority CU provides financial services to the following groups:
- Postal Employees Nationwide
- All Federal and State Employees working in Marion, Polk, Yamhill, and Columbia counties in Oregon.
- All County, City, Federal and State Employees in Multnomah, Clackamas, Washington counties in Oregon and Clark and Cowlitz counties in Washington.
- People, who live, work, worship, or go to school in Clark County, WA
- All Cowlitz County School District Employees
- Retirees receiving PERS (Public Employees Retirement System) or OPSRP (Oregon Public Service Retirement Plan)
- Air National Guard and Reserves
- Army National Guard and Reserves
- All Full-Time Military Duty Personnel Attached to the Oregon Air and Army National Guard and Reserves
- All Non-Military Employees on Oregon National Guard Facilities
- Retired Civil Service Employees and Retired and Former Military Service Members
- Port of Portland Employees and the Rivergate Industrial area
- Auto Solution Employees
- Laborer’s International Union of North America (LIUNA) Local No 296 and its Members
- Greater Portland Postal Customer Council (GPPCC) and its Members
- American Legion St. John’s Post No 98 and its Members
- American Legion Post 1 and its Members
- Allied Recovery, Inc. Employees
- Newhouse & Hutchins Employees
- Cenveo Employees
- Gallagher Electric Employees
- Hands on Chiropractic Center Employees
- Womack Auto Body Employees
- Custom Interior Spaces Employees
- Excel Finishes & Wall Coverings, Inc. Employees
- Les Schwab Employees
- Infinity Home Loans Employees
- Garlic Jim’s Employees
- Nichols & Associates Employees
- Oregon Agate & Mineral Society and its Members
- Hillside Landscaping Maintenance Employees
- Tess’s Coffee Corner Employees
- MQI Inc. Employees
- W.B. Adams Co. Employees
- Northwest Concession Supply Inc. Employees
- Ajinomoto Frozen Foods Employees
- Flying Pie Pizza Employees
- The Portland Kitchen Employees, Volunteers and Students
- The Military Order of the Purple Heart and its Members
- Any Retired Employees of the above groups.
Membership also includes family members of the above employee groups. Family members consist of mother, father, sister, brother, spouse, children, aunt, uncle, grandparent, grandchildren, niece, nephew, step-children, half-brother, half-sister and domestic partner.
Advantages of Credit Unions
Credit unions are financial cooperatives owned and operated by their member/owners.
As a credit union member, you're also the owner! There are no outside stockholders. Credit unions exist to provide the best service possible to their members - not to churn profit for stockholders by charging high fees. The only stockholders at a credit union are the members themselves!
Better Rates & Lower Fees
Credit unions return all profits back to the member (after reserves and expenses) in the form of better rates, better service and lower fees. Other financial institutions do not operate this way!
Volunteer Board of Directors
Credit unions are governed through an unpaid, volunteer Board of Directors. These volunteers are members of the credit union and are democratically elected by the credit union membership to represent you, the credit union member.
As a member of a credit union, you're also the owner - and we treat you that way. There are no customers at a credit union, just member/owners! Credit unions are not-for-profit. Credit unions return profits to members, not stockholders. We pass the savings back to the membership in the form of lower loan rates, higher savings rates and improved service.